Friday, May 29, 2015

foodie friday : homemade ice cream


I didn't really want to do dessert recipes 2 weeks in a row... but it is officially summer in SC and everyone needs ice cream.  Stat!

My family has always been big on homemade ice cream every summer.  We always made the base for whatever flavor we wanted the same way... and I never knew that a lot of other people use eggs in their's.  So this no-egg for the kid momma is happy to keep things traditional around here.  


Growing up, ice cream was churned out on the deck.  When I decided I wanted my own ice cream maker a few years ago... I did the same thing.  Until I realized that the melting salted ice was spilling onto the 2 decks below our's at our apartment.  So I noisily made different flavor combinations in my kitchen sink.  Pumpkin cheesecake, key lime pie, peach ice cream... just to name a few.  And then we moved and I forgot about it.


Until last weekend.  A couple from our small group invited us to their house for burgers so I enthusiastically decided I would bring some ice cream.  The flavor was the only decision to make.  After much deliberation, I decided on chocolate banana.  

homemade chocolate banana ice cream. 
by: homegrowninky

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup sugar
1 box chocolate instant pudding
half gallon 1% chocolate milk
2 very ripe bananas...mashed well

I combine all of the ingredients... filling the freezer container to the fill line with however much chocolate milk it takes (not quite the entire half gallon).  Make sure to have plenty of ice in your freezer.  I almost ran out!  And ice cream salt to help get everything as cold as possible!  As you can tell from the 2nd photo, it is really soft ice cream; which is great, but I froze it overnight to firm up for Sunday dessert!

You can do any flavor combination you want.  Change the pudding flavor, use half-n-half instead of cream and chocolate milk.  Throw in peaches or key lime juice or strawberries.  The possibilities are endless, and that is what I love about homemade!  No eggs required.








1 comment:

  1. French, or custard style ice cream, uses egg yolks to help create a creamy base. The fat in the yolks thickens the ice cream and helps prevent ice crystals from forming in the freezer. Philadelphia style is the name given to any ice cream that doesn't use eggs. Typically those are lighter in texture and aren't quite as creamy, but still delicious (and can be more convenient to make since you don't have to cook/temper the yolks and then let the base chill for hours before churning). I make quite a lot of ice cream and I prefer the custard style since we don't have any egg allergies to worry about and the texture tends to come out a little better. I've made a handful of egg-free recipes over the years that were utterly delicious too! Let me know if you'd like me to send you the recipes for my favorite egg-free ice creams (cake batter, dulce de leche, and key lime pie flavors).

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.