Friday, May 22, 2015

foodie friday : orange juice cake


My first part time job was working in my small town grocery store's deli for 2 summers.  It had its ups and downs... your typical minimum wage part time job.  I mostly sliced meat and cheese, but some of it was super fun.  Like baking and decorating cakes and assembling the delicious giant sandwiches we called Cow Patties.  


The one thing I really took out of that job was a love for this thing called an orange juice cake.  We would make them 6 at a time and they were always awesome.  When I left, I knocked the 6 cake recipe down to a normal 1 cake recipe, and then promptly lost it.  However, my grandmother makes it too and reminded me how to do it.  


I needed a quick and easy recipe for our small group this week, so I fixed this while the boys played in the back yard on Sunday.  It was still fantastic and ready to go on Monday.

Orange Juice Cake

cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding mix
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 C orange juice

glaze:
1 stick of butter
1 C sugar
1/4 C orange juice

Mix the cake ingredients really well and pour into a well greased bundt pan.  Bake as the box directions say for that type of pan.

Combine the glaze ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil while stirring, then set aside.

When your cake comes out, it would probably be best to turn it out of the pan for a second to make sure it is unstuck, then put it back in the pan.  That was something I wish I had done; instead I just poured the glaze right in and then it was really hard to turn it out without destroying it, I used a small rubber spatula to help me out.  Poke holes in the cake.  I used a chopstick but you can use a fork or something.  Pour the glaze all over it to soak in.    Let it soak for about 20 minutes while it begins to cool, then turn it out onto the plate or carrier you will be serving from.  Slice in and ENJOY!  Our small group sure did.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.