Monday, March 18, 2013

recipe: chicken&dumplings

It has been a great weekend post-Match.  I have done almost nothing and it has been glorious. 

I did, however, cook dinner last night.  Its one of my favorite comfort foods. 
Chicken and Dumplings.

I had never made it before, but ran across this yummy recipe by Kevin and Amanda.  I have tweaked it a bit to my liking since making it about 2 years ago, but the idea is pretty much the same.  I had never had chicken and dumplings like this, more like what you get at Cracker Barrel, but I REALLY enjoy this version.



 
my Creamy Chicken and Dumplings
inspired by Kevin and Amanda

2- 32oz boxes of Chicken Broth
2 large chicken breasts (I use rotisserie chicken)
2 stalks of celery chopped small
about a cup of other vegetables (this time I used frozen peas and carrots to minimize chopping)
some olive oil or butter for sauteing
2 C Bisquik
2/3 C milk
2-3 eggs, hard boiled


Saute the vegetables in a little olive oil or butter with some salt and pepper for seasoning.  Just a few minutes on med-high heat
Meanwhile have your husband shred/chop some chicken breast.  I prefer rotisserie chicken for the extra flavor but boiled is fine too.
When your veggies are ready, throw the chicken in for warming.
While all of that is going, you can have your chicken broth starting to boil.  As soon as it is boiling, get your dumplings mixed together... the Bisquick and milk.  Just drop by the spoonful into the broth.  Don't stir.  It will make you end up with tiny dumplings.  Boil for 10 minutes uncovered.
Once your dumplings have boiled the first 10 min, you can dump your chicken and veggies into the pot.  Cover and let simmer for 10 more minutes.
While your soup is simmering, remove the yolks from your hard boiled eggs.  Set those aside (throw them away unless you have some other use for them), and cube up the egg whites.  Once your soup is finished (is this really soup?), dump the egg in, give a gentle stir and serve.

Tastes great with some homemade cornbread.  And it heats up well for leftovers the next day (or two).  
I love this simple recipe on cold days like we had yesterday (seriously snowing in Ky a day after 70 degree weather!).  Its so filling and delicious.  Hope you enjoy it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.