Friday, October 23, 2015

foodie friday : breakfast fried rice


I mentioned last week that I tried out 2 of the stir fry ideas my phone news feed gave me.  The first was Thai Basil Beef with steamed rice.  I made a ton of extra jasmine rice and saved the rest in the fridge for the next stir fry day's meal of bacon and egg fried rice; recipe here!  Unfortunately we had just confirmed with the allergist that Myles is in fact still very much allergic to eggs (but can now have cow's milk!), so I had to make his a little special. 

All of the steps are done in a medium heat pan.  Unusual for a stir-fry dish, but you need it lower heat to properly crisp your cut up bacon, and not scald yourself on too hot bacon grease for the rest of the steps.  Because steps 3-6 are all done in bacon grease.

(1) Scramble your eggs, set aside (this is when I washed the pan so that Myles' portion would not be contaminated with his allergen).  (2) Cut up your bacon before you fry it so that you don't have to mess with crumbling it later. (3) Slowly fry the bacon until desired crispness, then scoop out the bacon to a separate bowl, leaving the grease in your skillet.  (4) Toss your diced onion into the grease and stir until they start to brown.  (5)  Dump your cold rice into the skillet with the grease and onion.  Sauté for a few minutes to soak up the grease and make sure the clumps of rice are all broken up and add your sauce.  (6)  This is the part where I added bacon crumbles and set aside enough for Myles, then dumped in egg to the rest.


I served this with roasted sweet potato, and the last of the Aldi's pork egg rolls that we now love.  I really loved the flavor of the sweet potato with the fried rice together.  Myles enjoyed his eggless portion, but who wouldn't like bacon rice?  And Kyle was very excited about this one.  He went to work the next day and told everyone about it.  I'd say this one is a winner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.