Friday, June 26, 2015

foodie friday : zucchini muffins


This recipe is tried and true.  I have never found another recipe I prefer anywhere near this one.  I have made these zucchini muffins with my grandmother and now on my own for many years and they absolutely do not get old.  It is no frills, none of that chocolate chip or nut business, just good warming cinnamon flavor.  I also almost always make them in muffin form.  They take less time to bake than a loaf, so to me, they hold moisture much better than a larger shape, and don't start tasting overdone on the en If I need them to be in a sliceable form, then I will bake them in a bundt pan instead.  So don't ask me how long it will take to bake a normal large loaf, because I have no idea.


zucchini muffins
homegrowninky style

2 1/2 C shredded zucchini
1 C oil
3 eggs
1 3/4 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix together above ingredients and then sift together the following dry ingredients in a separate bowl:

3 C all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Slowly combine the dry to the wet mix.  Pour batter evenly into greased muffin tins.  Bake at 350F for 15-18 min, until toothpick inserted in muffin comes out clean.  Let cool on a rack completely before storing. 

You could throw in about a 1/2 C of chopped pecans or walnuts if thats your thing... but it isn't mine.  I just don't mess with a good thing.  These have always been a big hit so I try to make them on occasion for the residents (I like to send something they can easily grab on the run to their next trauma or consult) and dear friends (like Lyndsey who appreciates muffins at 3am with her new 2nd born son!).  Or just for me to have a few for breakfast.

Or lunch.

Or mid-afternoon snack.

Or all of the above.  No judgement.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.