Friday, September 25, 2015

foodie friday : pumpkin spiced


Like everyone, I love the time of year that pumpkin spiced coffees make their debut.  But I really hate spending the money on them.  For the past couple of years, I have kept my eye out for pumpkin syrups, but nothing ever tastes right.  I have tried making my own, but it always ends in disaster.  

Then one day it hit me.  Maybe I should be trying to make my own creamer.  Maybe then I can achieve pumpkin spiced success!  I have had numerous store bought pumpkin creamers and they are all just ok; and like the coffee shops, completely fake in the pumpkin department.  So I started searching Yummly, and after sorting through some weird recipes, I found one that sounded very promising.  Of course I tweaked it to my liking and pantry stock (which I will share below), but the bones of the recipe are from My Organized Chaos.

REAL Pumpkin Spiced Creamer
inspired by My Organized Chaos

1 C half-n-half
5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice (make it yourself)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp real vanilla extract
1/2 C milk

Whisk it all together in a bowl, pour into a saucepan and slowly heat until steaming.  Remove from heat and occasionally whisk to prevent a skin from forming as it cools.  I chose to strained mine while I bottled it up to get out some of the larger chunks of spices, but you probably don't have to.  Refrigerate and shake before each use since the spices settle.



I use about 2 tablespoons or more (+sugar) in a mug of STRONG coffee for a close likeness to what I would buy out, except for every morning, late morning, and afternoon pick-me-up in my house.  Whipped topping is optional and totally recommended.  Leftover spices and puree can be mixed in to plain yogurt for a special treat, your pancake batter, or maybe I should try making mini hand pies?!

The best part is, you can buy pumpkin puree year round.  And all together, this recipe probably costs about the same as one grande fake pumpkin spiced latte at your favorite coffee shop.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, I reserve the right to remove comments that may be seen as offensive.